We ensure that no third parties benefit from the great designs of our clients.
Bjerkéns Patentbyrå has extensive experience in managing design matters and helping our clients in areas such as:
- assessing a product’s possibilities for obtaining a design registration,
- drafting documents for filing design applications both in Sweden and abroad,
- filing design applications in Sweden or in the EU,
- filing design applications in other countries via our network of international contacts,
- replying to refusal decisions, deficiency notifications and correspondence from relevant authorities,
- monitoring time limits, such as those pertaining to renewals,
- invalidating other design applications,
- assessing whether a product is infringing on a registered design,
- defending exclusive rights to design,
- assisting throughout any legal conflict in a court of law,
- drafting licensing agreements, transfer agreements and the like for designs
What is required for a design protection?
Approval of an application for a design registration requires that the design must be new. In principle, this means that the product for which design registration is desired must not have been shown in public before the application is filed.
The design must be unique, i.e. it must provide a completely new overall impression, and be significantly different from the appearance of previously known products. However, there is a grace period of twelve months for the novelty requirement in both Sweden and the EU.
A design registration may be granted for a maximum of 25 years. The registration must be renewed every five years.
A meeting with Bjerkéns might be the difference between a good design and a good, successful design.
In which countries is it possible to protect a design?
Designs may be registered in Sweden via the Swedish Patent and Registration Office (PRV) or for Europe through filing an application for design registration with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO). A design may also be registered through the Hague system administered by WIPO or abroad through our network of international contacts.